Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 3,007
Like?
Re: I'll make my own prediction
In reply to Aberaeron, Nov 11, 2013

Aberaeron wrote:

Brendan Delaney wrote:

Agree - Two ends of the market. Always were...

Images for memories, sharing and being a part of one's life.. (99% of people) Box Brownie/Film compact and high st lab/ P&S / Cameraphone.

Art and professional photography...Glass plates /medium format/highend SLR/DSLR.

What happened briefly in the 1970/80s and in the past 10years is that the camera companies managed to sell cheap/volume (D)SLRS to the first market. That time is now ending.

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Street, Urban and Documentary Photography

With even the paparazzi professionals being replaced by reporters with iPhones, I don't really think that the expensive 'professional' DSLR has much of a future. If the volume of high end product drops significantly, the remaining products in that sector will have to rise in price. There is no room for a rise in price because the cat is out of the bag and people know that less expensive cameras will do the same job. And so do the professionals know this also, and they will have to become more efficient and have lower costs in future, not higher costs, if they are to derive a meaningful income from still images. In fact the demand is already there for combined still and video shooters. If neither the camera manufacturers nor the photographers get in the groove on this, there are plenty of others to take their place. Low cost, efficient workflow, innovative products and services, that is what the market will increasingly demand of both professional photogs and equipment manufacturers. Nobody can afford a stagnant market for long. They just will not survive unless they rise to the challenge.

I don't think you can take that example and spread it across the entire market, paps and reporters have clear reasons to use phones(stealth and connectivity) that many other professionals do not.

Personally I think a lot of the arguments that quality "doesn't matter" as much are very questionable as well. I'd argue that most of the areas that have been replaced by digital viewing were actually pretty low quality to begin with, small highstreet prints, newspapers etc. If anything I think the demand for quality higher up has increased, most obviously because its now far easier and cheaper to print large. Professionally I think quality has become more important when it comes to market differential, prints have become larger, coffee table books have become larger, glossy mags photo spreads have become larger. Whats more were now entering an era were digital displays themselves may start to rival prints for quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow