If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to areichow, 8 months ago

areichow wrote:

It is pretty common, at least for the enthusiast types who frequent the NEX and m43 forums. The NEX is my first system camera, but the only other E-mount lens I have is the SEL16F28. I've bought a handful of older manual lenses and I'm really enjoying it. I'm *really* enjoying the Canon FD SSC 50mm f/1.4 I recently got from KEH for $33. The price is shocking for what I got - the glass is perfect, but it was given a lower grade because a serial number is engraved onto the barrel.

KEH has Zeiss lenses for the Contax G rangefinder and Contax/Yashica mounts. The G 45mm f/2 Zeiss Planar is ~ $450 and the C/Y Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.7 can be had for $200. The C/Y is a DSLR lens and will be a bit bigger with an adapter, but not all that much longer than the NEX 18-55mm kit lens, I suspect. I haven't seen any reviews of it with the A7 and the new FE 55mm might be an even better lens. But it is supposed to be a very nice lens and it'll have a the nice manual focus and manual aperture feel that the FE 55mm doesn't.

Depending on what you're looking for, I'd recommend KEH.com for buying these lenses second hand. I've had much better luck with the quality of lenses from KEH than from eBay. Prices are generally good. Other companies sell used lenses as well, but I've not bought any legacy lenses from any sources other than KEH and eBay sellers so far. Personally, buying a legacy lens that cost more than $100 off of eBay makes me kind of nervous, though there are some sellers with near-perfect approval and a good return policy.

And what of currently manufactured lenses? What would compare to the FE 55 -- in sharpness and smooth OOF -- but be manual -- and, ideally, relatively small/light -- and still made?

Thanks so much to everybody for helping me think this through!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow