Do we still need a TC?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Do we still need a TC?
In reply to Mark Ransom, 11 months ago

I did a resolution test of an SMCP-A 50mm f/1.7 and a Vivitar 2x macro focusing extender, and the TC was much better than cropping to 100 mm field of view. This was on a 16 MP Sony NEX camera, K-3 might differ for crop, but not enough to match the TC.

I haven't posted results for it, will try to soon. Been doing some other lens reviews.

However, the TC was only decent above f/4 on lens (f/8 including TC). This combination was similar resolution to the SMCP 100mm f/4 macro, but not at equivalent apertures. The macro at f/4 was more like TC+50mm at f/8 (set at f/4 - 2 stops for TC).

My point is, with a good sharp prime and quality TC should still be a little better than cropping. The trade off point with K-3 will mean you need even better TC and lens to get better results than cropping. TC on small aperture lens is probably no gain, but I haven't tested as I can't get that far away from my chart.  Your best bet is get a lens of the needed focal length of course, it might not be sharper than lens with TC but should be larger aperture.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow