If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 8 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

djp58 wrote:

I have several AF lenses to complement my many MF only lenses. I keep my NEX 7 in MF and have the AF/MF button on the back set to "hold" vice toggle. That way, when I want to use AF, I push and hold the back button. if I want to switch back or fine-tune manually, I just release the button. Works well for the few times I use AF and focus-by-wire lenses. Will set my A7R up the same way when it arrives.

When do you prefer to go out with a focus-by-wire-but-potential-to-autofocus lens vs. the physical manual focus lens?

Put another way, if you were choosing between a physical manual lens or a focus-by-wire with option to autofocus lens -- which would you choose?

If I'm going to one of my daughters sporting events, I typically bring an AF capable lens; lighting is always horrible (junior high), so wish I had a faster stabilized lens, but AF definitely helps.  Most of my other shooting is outdoor/nature/landscape, and I definitely prefer MF in this case.  Just picked up an OM 21mm F3.5 and a Nikon 20mm f4 - looking forward to hitting the trail with one of these mounted on the A7R.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow