If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,405Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 10 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

Hi all,

I'm thinking ahead to A7 or A7r with a fast 'normal' prime.

I generally prefer to manually focus. And the FE 55 does look like it's going to be a great lens.

But I'm wondering if I should still skip the FE 55, and abandon the option to use autofocus -- and instead go for a physically focused lens, rather than always have to use focus-by-wire.

Anybody wrestling with a similar decision?

I have a Nikon FF setup and a couple of Zeiss lenses for that, so, its a bit easier for me since i can just get ZF.2 or Nikon lenses and use them on both systems. If you dont have Canon or Nikon FF, then you will likely have to choose one system or the other and adapt them.

I mentioned Zeiss because the focusing mechanisms on them are silky smooth and miles ahead of the focus by wire of modern mirrorless lenses.

Keep in mind that it will increase the size of the system by quite a bit if you are adapting lenses. The FE55/1.8 looks tiny.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow