Senior MemberPosts: 3,408
Like?
Re: Prepare yourselves for a new landscape
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

meland wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

meland wrote:

In ten or fifteen years (the exact time span is not the main point of this prediction) mainstream enthusiast photography may have gone small format. Forget full frame. Forget APS-C. Forget M4/3. These may all be then regarded as medium format and as such only the province of a few professionals and quality fetishists.

So how do you think this current trend toward full frame that we're seeing will play out? First Sony, now Olympus and Fuji are making noises about it. Do you think this is just a short and passing fad?

I think it will remain for a while for the high end enthusiast and professional markets. After which it will retract to much smaller volumes, somewhat like MF achieves today.

As a volume product, I'm not sure many manufacturers that are not already in it will adopt it. Designing and making a range of FF lenses when you have none is too expensive to enable a return on investment for the small volumes and I don't believe there will be enough purchasers committed enough to sustain it anyway.

That may be a popular take in this whole thing and some would say makes the most sense.

As a segway, my biggest concern with the Sony A7 series is their overall commitment given Sony's financial woes. I think it's a great concept and would be my preference going forward - if I can be sure they'll stay around. They've shown a propensity to be trendy and given their current lineup with now three separate lens systems, it's hard to tell where they plan to be in 5 years.

That may be the real issue and I'm not sure Sony know the answer to that themselves.  It seems to be a question of let's suck it and see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow