If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,808Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 11 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

Hi all,

I'm thinking ahead to A7 or A7r with a fast 'normal' prime.

I generally prefer to manually focus. And the FE 55 does look like it's going to be a great lens.

But I'm wondering if I should still skip the FE 55, and abandon the option to use autofocus -- and instead go for a physically focused lens, rather than always have to use focus-by-wire.

Anybody wrestling with a similar decision?

If you're planning to use it for macro work, I'd suggest skipping the AF. I have the 55mm f2.8 Micronikkor AF I inherited from my Dad, who used it MF on his F3HP. It's easier I find to manually focus it on my D7000, even though the focus ring is ridiculously small.

On the other hand, used as a prime in AF, it is stunning in sharpness.

I would, in any case, purchase the kit lens. I am ***SO*** glad I ignored the negatives about the 16-50PZ when I bought my NEX-6. I bought it and basically ignored it for months, then began using it more often. A basic kit lens is handy to have in the bag for when you just want a walking-around lens and don't expect to submit any shots to National Geographic.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow