Fuji X-E2 image problems

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
CraigArnold
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to stimpy, 5 months ago

stimpy wrote:

FYI - a RAW file should not need that much work if all you wish to do is replicate what your eyes saw. You certainly should not have to remove purple masks and blotches from peoples faces.

If that is an acceptable part of your workflow, that's wonderful for you. But it isn't for me. Call me fussy

You can say that is a Lightroom issue, or say it is problem with unfriendly the X-Trans sensor, but it either way it is a problem for users of both systems, a problem that does not occur with any other camera I have ever shot with

The purple blotches are terrible. Most likely a result of a beta version of LR doing a horrible job. But you still haven't said what lens you are using or shown a full file to show the issue in context. The file may be underexposed, as well as being at ISO6400. We just don't know from the data you are presenting. There are many possible contributing factors.

BUT YOU COULD ACTUALLY HAVE A DEFECTIVE CAMERA (or lens).

Wouldn't it be nice to find out?

The JPEG issue is simply a fuji issue, [snip]

Agreed and not contested. It's why I don't shoot jpgs, even though Fuji are generally excellent, under challenging conditions (like ISO6400) RAW is preferred.

You've gone to so much trouble to write a long post that is more patronising than constructive or helpful.

You're right, I apologize for being patronising, but I genuinely believe that you would benefit from learning about digital processing because your posts exhibit many signs of confusion. Is there a way to say that without being patronizing? I'm not sure, I did mean to express frustration because I don't think you're listening to the answers you've been given or coming to sensible conclusions about the problems you are seeing.

You epitomize DPRs brand specific forums, where all anyone wants to do is celebrate the good and turn a blind eye to the bad.

And your post which at first appeared to be genuine, starts to come across as trollish when you ignore sensible comments and seem to just want everyone to agree that the sky is falling and a lot of Fuji-bashing is the only appropriate response.

I don't believe that was your initial intention, but that's how it's starting to look.

Are you speaking from any experience? Have you got an X-E2? Can you post samples to the contrary of my experience?

Nope. But most doctors are not suffering from the ailments they treat either.

I don't have an X-trans camera. Largely because I think LR is pretty weak at processing the RAW files (the default settings can produce criminally poor results) though if one is willing to actually move the sliders off their defaults it can do a "good enough" job most of the time. And as it happens I'd rather not have to ditch LR for CaptureOne just so that I can buy an X-trans camera.

I am guessing you don't, and your reply is, like many others, born from a rather unhealthy emotional attachment to a brand who in your eyes can't possibly produce a camera with any issues.

Not at all. I applaud Fuji for their work in X-trans, it just sucks that LR's algorithms are so deeply tied into the demosaicing that the results with the sensor are not great. I personally would much rather have a very high resolution Bayer sensor which can then be down-sampled according to output requirements.

I love the Fuji cameras and design philosophy.

Let's back up for a second... There are a few possibilities here:

1. Your camera is broken.

2. Your camera is fine. But the version of LR you are using is rubbish under these conditions.

3. Your camera is fine. LR is fine. You have special scenarios where you need a specific type of result, and the X-E2 is simply not good enough for your needs.

4. Your camera is fine. LR is fine. Your requirements are not particularly out-of-the-ordinary. You are searching for problems with the camera, but they exist in your knowledge or technique or expectations of what the equipment should be able to do.

At the risk of being patronising again. I believe that it's mostly #2 with a side order of #4.

Download a CaptureOne trial and see what results you get with that.

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow