Re: New 18-55mm WR vs. 16-45mm
In reply to cgarrard, 8 months ago

cgarrard wrote:

justin23 wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

ccd wrote:

cgarrard wrote:

And this 16mm?

The 18-55 out performs the 16-45 on many aspects, its also much more budget, which is the point of the post.

In what aspects are those? I

Chromatic aberrations, wide angle distortion, and its weather sealed. Sharpness too I think is very much on par or slightly better when tested on the same body.

Beyond that, there is budget and there is value.

Great, this thread is about bang for the buck, dollar for performance. The lenses I picked are very difficult to argue against.

That being said, I will go somewhat hypocritically go against the grain and recommend the much maligned 50-200 over the 55-300. Not only is it considerably cheaper

Which 55-300mm are you referring too? The DA L is almost exactly the same price as the 55-200mm WR.

I done thought my post through before I done posted it ;).

Carl

Well, you done put out some very arguable picks as is evidenced by the responses. For every point you've made, others have refuted them here......and in many other (albeit anecdotal) tests I have seen differing views from owners of both on the CA and distortion levels. But there is almost a consensus that the 16-45's sharpness is superior at every focal length.....and even more so when comparing them at the equivalent 18mm.

My point is that bang for the buck is a relative concept. Much of the criteria is subjective. Yes, I did take your original "budget" parameter and applied a variation of the term. Surprise.....someone takes an idea ventured forth and runs with it on a discussion forum. There's a newsflash.

Finally, I never used the 50-200WR as a relative comparison. It was the original 50-200. A true bargain and an underrated lens. Not everybody is as concerned about WR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow