Fuji X-E2 image problems

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,855Gear list
Like?
image problems or internet fora problems?
In reply to stimpy, Nov 11, 2013

stimpy wrote:

FYI - a RAW file should not need that much work if all you wish to do is replicate what your eyes saw. You certainly should not have to remove purple masks and blotches from peoples faces.

I agree, but this kind of issue is common amongst new cameras. That's why I flagged the fact LR 5.3 is turning faces in Olympus E-M1 raws a kind of mottled yellow colour (presumably an attempt to restrain the blowing of the red channel that was evident in the LR results from LR5.2).

If that is an acceptable part of your workflow, that's wonderful for you. But it isn't for me. Call me fussy

You can say that is a Lightroom issue, or say it is problem with unfriendly the X-Trans sensor, but it either way it is a problem for users of both systems, a problem that does not occur with any other camera I have ever shot with

See above. I can recall numerous issues in the past with new or beta support for new cameras in LR. In fairness to Adobe, if it's not a release version, you would expect some issues.

The JPEG issue is simply a fuji issue, as I have said, this has been highlighted many times on other forums and by some very competent photographers back as for as the Xpro1 (see a post here by none other than Damien Lovegrove: http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/4302-too-much-noise-reduction-in-std-mode-x-pro1/) perhaps you'd like to tell him it's his fault and not the camera.

Or here by Rachel Ruffer (albeit a milder showing of the problem) http://www.rachelrufferblog.com/photography/fuji-x100s-ugly-noise-reduction-why-im-only-shooting-raw-now/

Or here by Fredrik Averpil: http://fredrikaverpil.tumblr.com/post/44849668414

You've gone to so much trouble to write a long post that is more patronising than constructive or helpful. You epitomize DPRs brand specific forums, where all anyone wants to do is celebrate the good and turn a blind eye to the bad.

My experience of these fora is that people focus on the bad rather than the good. This thread is a case in point. People rarely respond in great numbers to threads that are positive. Threads with negativity in content or title ellicit many, many replies. I was in two minds as to whether to reply to this again, but it least it (in the final analysis) saves us from further uninformed speculation about things which may not be a problem.

Are you speaking from any experience? Have you got an X-E2? Can you post samples to the contrary of my experience?

I do have an X-E2. I don't like the default noise settings for jpegs, so I adjust them. The results are comparable with or better than other camera jpegs at high isos (6400 etc). I don't think they are particularly "bad". The same goes for results from my X100S.

I am guessing you don't, and your reply is, like many others, born from a rather unhealthy emotional attachment to a brand who in your eyes can't possibly produce a camera with any issues.

I would conversely point to an unhealthy obsession many who post to internet fora have with throwing muck based on pure speculation at all camera brands. I have no issue with those who have genuine issues and it IS hard to separate those with genuine issues from those who simply can't operate their camera (I'll put but hand up for at least one my AF is broken thread about a lens with a clutch mechanism) or those who are trolling in one shape or form. However, all too often these "issues" turn out to be nothing but noise.

I confess I did read your post and sighed to myself. I don't think you are wrong that there are issues with the RAW conversions from the RC version of LR, but you are wrong to limit that to one camera as an attack on that camera. Its also a bit premature to attack RAW conversions based on output in a RC version of LR generally.

As to the point about jpegs, well, I think what you are saying is that they aren't to your taste. If that was the theme of your post it would be entirely fair comment. As it is it has somehow been conflated with an issue with LR and given a "scary" title. I find that depressing.

I've read this through and it seems a bit personal. I'm sorry about that - I don't know how to make these points in another way and this is genuinely what I felt on reading your post (and indeed the responses).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow