Fuji X-E2 image problems

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to stimpy, 5 months ago

stimpy wrote:

FYI - a RAW file should not need that much work if all you wish to do is replicate what your eyes saw. You certainly should not have to remove purple masks and blotches from peoples faces.

Than don't used LR beta to process the files. There are other RAW processors that don't exhibit this problem. I imagine LR will fix it soon anyway. Be patient.

stimpy wrote:

You can say that is a Lightroom issue, or say it is problem with unfriendly the X-Trans sensor, but it either way it is a problem for users of both systems, a problem that does not occur with any other camera I have ever shot with

It is the X-trans processor that requires different processing than typical Bayer sensors. Yes, it is well known that some processors don't do as well with it as others. If that is a problem for you the X-E2 is not for you.

The JPEG issue is simply a fuji issue, as I have said, this has been highlighted many times on other forums and by some very competent photographers back as for as the Xpro1 (see a post here by none other than Damien Lovegrove: http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/4302-too-much-noise-reduction-in-std-mode-x-pro1/) perhaps you'd like to tell him it's his fault and not the camera.

Or here by Rachel Ruffer (albeit a milder showing of the problem) http://www.rachelrufferblog.com/photography/fuji-x100s-ugly-noise-reduction-why-im-only-shooting-raw-now/

Or here by Fredrik Averpil: http://fredrikaverpil.tumblr.com/post/44849668414

IMHO, this "problem" is being overblown. The reality is that all jpeg processors try to recognize skin and process it differently because people like flesh to be "warmer." I discovered this when using manual white balance with another companies digital camera. Everything came out neutral except the skin tones which were obviously still getting recognized and pumped up.

ISO 6400 is high. Most cameras smooth things at ISO 6400 quite a bit and most do not let you completely turn the noise reduction off...just down. Heck, some don't even let you turn it off in RAW. IMHO, that isn't even close to the worst noise reduction I've seen at ISO 6400...by a long shot...and certainly not worse than a cell phone (that is just pure exaggeration for effect.)

Not to be condescending but I think you are looking too hard for a problem. I've seen this with other products when someone identifies an "issue" like like bleed around an LCD screen. People who buy the product then post to ask how they can identify if their product has a problem. The answer is you identify it if YOU see it...not if it is something you read about that you have to look for under specific conditions with a loupe.

In the end, if the amount of minimum noise reduction on skintones bothers you with jpeg processing return the camera. If LR not supporting X-trans well bothers you return the camera.

Is it much worse than other cameras?  I don't think so and I've own Oly's, Nikon's, Sony's, Pentax's, Canon's...etc.  But, you are the one who has to live with it and if it bothers you than return it.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow