unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to CraigArnold, 8 months ago

CraigArnold wrote:

stimpy wrote:

None of these have had any pp work, sooc raws

Goodness. What does that even mean? I presume you mean you haven't changed any of the settings off their default LR settings. This is not some kind of virtue, it is simply nonsensical. Why on earth are you shooting RAW then?

If you want to know where the problem is, check the jpgs from the camera. If they look okay then LR is the problem, otherwise you may have a faulty camera.

Also 100% crops from ISO 6400 in horrible tungsten or mixed light and you don't like the color? Good grief!

The problem here is not inside the camera, it is behind it.

The jpeg issue is the level of noise reduction, not color.

Raw files should not give people purple faces.

These are NOT issues "behind the camera"

Of course NR affects color. Goodness me.

The RAW file is not giving purple faces. The LR beta conversion is doing that. We simply need to see the full files.

I would also be very interested to know which lens you were using. Please don't say this is a corner crop from some other lens mount with an adapter! The purple could simply be uncorrected chromatic aberration or even lens flare.

There is a problem behind the camera in the sense that you are making a lot of statements which don't make sense. They are not even wrong, but borne from the fact that you don't understand much about digital image processing. This can be relatively easily rectified by reading this book:

The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop by Jeff Schewe

You could also purchase the Luminous-Landscape video tutorials on Lightroom which give a lot of insight into how best to use the application.

The thing is that any camera requires a period of adjustment. You need to learn how to get the best out of a new tool. This is part of the craft of photography. Simply because you buy a fancy new camera, which is in most respects better than anything you've had before, does not mean you are going to get better results straight out of the gate. It may be that your camera is faulty, it may be that LR 5.3 beta is struggling with the X-trans conversion again. It is almost certainly the case that you can stand to improve your knowledge of how to correct RAW files and set up profiles for different camera/lens/ISO processing.

It may well be that this is just the wrong camera for you because you want to do a lot of ultra-low light work without proper lighting and need your results to match a certain profile or style which is going to be difficult to achieve with the X-E2. That's fine of course, there are a huge range of great cameras on the market to choose from.

But at the moment what you are saying and the way you are saying it suggests that the weakest link in your imaging chain is your knowledge of digital processing.

FYI - a RAW file should not need that much work if all you wish to do is replicate what your eyes saw. You certainly should not have to remove purple masks and blotches from peoples faces.

If that is an acceptable part of your workflow, that's wonderful for you. But it isn't for me. Call me fussy

You can say that is a Lightroom issue, or say it is problem with unfriendly the X-Trans sensor, but it either way it is a problem for users of both systems, a problem that does not occur with any other camera I have ever shot with

The JPEG issue is simply a fuji issue, as I have said, this has been highlighted many times on other forums and by some very competent photographers back as for as the Xpro1 (see a post here by none other than Damien Lovegrove: http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/4302-too-much-noise-reduction-in-std-mode-x-pro1/) perhaps you'd like to tell him it's his fault and not the camera.

Or here by Rachel Ruffer (albeit a milder showing of the problem) http://www.rachelrufferblog.com/photography/fuji-x100s-ugly-noise-reduction-why-im-only-shooting-raw-now/

Or here by Fredrik Averpil: http://fredrikaverpil.tumblr.com/post/44849668414

You've gone to so much trouble to write a long post that is more patronising than constructive or helpful. You epitomize DPRs brand specific forums, where all anyone wants to do is celebrate the good and turn a blind eye to the bad.

Are you speaking from any experience? Have you got an X-E2? Can you post samples to the contrary of my experience?

I am guessing you don't, and your reply is, like many others, born from a rather unhealthy emotional attachment to a brand who in your eyes can't possibly produce a camera with any issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow