Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,092Gear list
Like?
Well this is Nikon's marketing plan...
In reply to jY h, 10 months ago

jY h wrote:

Hello, I'm the very happy owner of a Nikon D600 and have no plans of buying a new camera. However, the Nikon DF did catch My eye. I love the retro styling. Why is the price of this camera so high? Its sensor has lower resolution than the D600, it has no video capability, and no built in flash. Why would someone pay several hundred dollars more than a D600/610 and get less capability? I suppose it all due to the styling? Am I missing something?

I think Nikon can be excused for thinking that there will be enough people out there who will love the physical controls (I love them) and not mind the size and weight (I do) and agree that the price is pretty good considering you are getting most of what makes a D4, for a much lower price.

I just hope these are not the same people in Nikon's marketing team, who were responsible for the appalling choice of price points (way too high) on the "1".  The "1" had its quirks, starting with horrible ergonomics on the early models, but it also had its qualities - it probably would have been a much more successful product if only Nikon had not priced it on par with mid-range DSLRs...

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow