Nikon DF, Why is the price so high?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: is the price so high? Very fair
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 9 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

The Nikon LIST price seems to be about 15% more than for the D700.

There is no point comparing the price of apples to oranges. The D700 is available at good street discounts and as yet the Df not.

If the Df prices settles at about 15% more than the D700 (pre D800 announcement) more MP, much better high ISO noise, greater dynamic range, f8 official AF ability and (for those who want it) pre AIS lens compatibility does not sound high to me.

So, D610 for "newbies to photography" who may never have shot film, Df for "golden oldies" with older AIS lenses, D800 for maximum resolution and D4 for maximum fps, seems a good all round range to me.

Digressing prices of pre second hand AIS lenses are not that high - yet

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge as to how to get the best out of modern and often complex camera equipment.

That is true. Looking at it on Nikon rumours, made in Japan and the chassis specs, looking at it, if it is as hardy and tightly made as it LOOKS (and it looks just as tight as the older metal bodies), it is well worth it, considering specs and build.

Aside from your point above, the D700 used in Ex condition still goes for over 1,250, a 6 yr old camera., used.

So a list price as you say of 2,750 for such a recent offering, is not high. As you note, the D700 was going new for over 2,2,00 street price, before its discontinuance.

No doubt FF prices are coming down, but due to e specs on this, too much cost has gone into it to expect much less.

*IF* I could afford it, I would not have any qualms about buying either the D800 or the Df.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow