Fuji X-E2 image problems

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Lakeview Man
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to stimpy, 9 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Testing my X-E2 this weekend, and I have a couple of issues.

1) JPEGs overall soften human skin far too much, this is reported to be an issue with the X100s so it could possibly be due to face detection, but even on NR -2 it is too much - everyone looks like they have been retouched. However the real issue comes at ISO 6400 which just obliterates all detail - this must be a bug because it is incredibly unsightly. Non-people photos are fine.

2) An even bigger issue, though perhaps not Fujis fault - Lightroom 5.3 (final beta) is showing some very bad magenta shadows on a LOT of photos - again mainly faces for some reason.

Attached a 100% crop showing this on a forehead

And again in another photo - look at the eyes and nose.

3) Raw files of people all tend to boost saturation in the eyes and lips which is odd, everyone looks like they have lipstick on.

It is a shame because the camera is good, and focus is perfectly fine now; but these are big issues. I really do not know whether to return it or not...

The x100s make the skin in faces look plastic, especially at high iso. I started a thread about this earlier this year, comparing in camera jpeg vs lightroom converted sharpened raw vs lightroom converted but sharpened in Nik sharpener.

Unfortuneatly the thread ended up with a lot of replies about how the colors were * so much * better in sooc jpeg.... which I then tried to explain with the fact that in the Lightroom coverted versions I did nothing to develop the colors (as planned for that testing) but only added sharpening. I wanted only to show the effect of in camera noise reduction/ detail smearing for the in camera Jpeg vs external Raw conversion, so I never bothered develop/adjust the color for the raw version in that example. So.... I guess some people never bothered to read the text about what I was comparing....

So, the problem is real to me. Even with camera jpeg with noise reduction at -2. But I always shoot raw or raw+jpeg anyway.

-- hide signature --
 Lakeview Man's gear list:Lakeview Man's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow