To watermark or not to watermark?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Watermark examples.
In reply to Richard, 8 months ago

Richard wrote:

First let me say this is just my opinion, and there have been times on the board that others had a much different opinion than I. Also what is considered objectionable is subjective.

A picture on the web is like a car stereo. If the thief wants it bad enough, and has the skill they will get it. If the car is unlocked, like a picture on the internet with no watermark, it is easy to steal. If the car is locked and has an alarm, most thieves will move on to an easier target often the same with a watermarked picture.

Example 1,Adobe photoshop people cannot get the image because part of it is lost, but many viewers find this objectionable because they cannot see the image behind the text. They may not buy.

Example 2 allows you to see behind the text which is less objectionable to the buyer., but this is easier to eliminate the water mark because the picture is lightened by the text. If all the images are watermarked in the same way you run a batch job when you figure out how to remove the watermark.

In example 3 using the text and instead of just adjusting the opacity of the layer, you turn on subtract, device, lightness Logic XOR to the opacity and this makes it even harder to remove and the buyer gets to see all the detail but only in a strange color. I would use something like this since I would consider it less objectional.

To prevent batch jobs being run after they figure out how to remove the watermark (using a mask then applying the same process to every photo) move the watermark around so every imagae is slightly different and a mask cannot be used to make the adjustment.

One thing. I have walked into the office only to see a few people with pictures like wedding or portrait, on the desktop in a picture frame with the watermark splattered across the front. Yes, people proudly displaying printed pictures they printed out on their own printer with a huge watermark across the picture.

People like this, it will not matter what you do. But I would like to hope that this is a very small minority.

I've just had a look at iStock's water marking and they have an outlined (grey outter, lighter inner) form of text. Would doing it that way make it harder for software? As it is having to deal with two layers of lightness, rather than just one.

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow