Why no m4/3 tele converters like Nikon/Canon others?

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,823Gear list
Like?
Re: Because there is no lens that can use it
In reply to DonSC, Nov 11, 2013

DonSC wrote:

Teleconverters work much better on primes than zooms. They also reduce the available light for focusing -- one stop with a 1.4xTC and two stops with the 2xTC.

The ideal match for a TC would be a 300mm+ prime with a wide open aperture of f/2.8 or f/4. Looking at the available lenses for m43, nothing fits. There isn't a prime above 100mm, much less one that is as fast as f/4. In fact there isn't a single lens of any kind with a focal length above 100mm that has an aperture of f/4 or better at the long end.

Basically no reason to have a TC unless you have a lens that can use it.

That'a why I adapt manual primes. I have a couple of long Nikons (200mm f4 and EDIF 300mm f4.5) and a TC-201 2x teleconverter I bought around 1990. They all work just fine on a tripod with my GH2. Haven't tried them with my GX7 yet.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow