20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757Gear list
Like?
Re: Caerolle...
In reply to mistermejia, Nov 11, 2013

Hmmm, I will try. I have not posted any pictures to the site, will  have to figure out how to do that. I see an 'insert image' icon, I don't know if that will provide what you need.

There are a few caveats, of course!

Mainly, this evaluation was kind of spur-of-the-moment to the point of being 'ill-conceived'. I was playing with the 6D in the store, looking at how the viewfinder looked, how fast it would focus something far, then close, then far, into shadow, different AF points, and how manual focus works (the mirrorless are great with focus-peaking, but the manual focus on the Fuji lenses is drive-by-wire, and is not so good to use). The idea popped in my head to grab the card out of my camera so I could take some picks to take home (I did not have a spare card with me, didn't have my bag, just my camera in my backpack). They said sure, so I just walked around outside the shop and took some snapshots. I had reformatted the card in the 6D, so actually went home to transfer the files to my computer, then came back hours later and took some of the same snapshots with my Fuji, in some cases from in my car. The light was very different, and I couldn't remember the settings I used earlier. Also, when I looked at all the files later, I realized the 6D was shooting some intermediate-quality JPEGs, not RAW. I shot in RAW-only with my Fuji.

When I have done comparisons in the past, I rented a camera and lenses for several day, shot with very similar lenses and conditions, mostly from a tripod (same distance, same lighting), and with viewfinder and live mode both for the dSLRs, on something with really light, fine printings and images. This does not approach that level of set-up!

About the only thing I did right was the lenses. I used the Canon 50/1.4 on the 6D, and my 35/1.4 on my Fuji, which are roughly equivalent.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics. I don't know how well this will work. Please excuse the composition and post-processing and such, they really were all just snaps. Unfortunately, I only kept the pics where I had the same scene from both cameras. Several I took of some pretty bushes I took with the 6D, that looked amazing, are gone. And due to huge differences in lighting, there is really only one pair of pics that work for comparison, and they are pretty uninspiring. Sorry, I was just doing a subjective comparison, and don't really have good data.  

In the end, I think this is going to be disappointing to you. I would encourage you to get hold of a 6D if you are interested in it, and take a look at the images first-hand. Plus, the handling is important, too, at least for me. The biggest concern for me is the lack of AF points, and that there is only one cross-point.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow