20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,226Gear list
Like?
Re: 20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:
In reply to Rick Knepper, Nov 11, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

Sharpness and other apsects of IQ are a different matter from detail IMO. If it were possible to find a FF sensor with the same pixel density of a crop, and find exact equivalent lenses, I would expect the same level of detail to be captured by both but the overall clarity of the FF image would be superior due to its lower inherent noise and other factors

Not even close. The 20D/30D/350D have the same pixel density more or less, as the 5D2. Take, say, the 60/2.8 and the 100/2.8 macro (non-L) and compare them. Here is one such comparison at close to equivalent apertures. The extinct resolution (look at the horizontal lines) is something like 22 vs. 34.

Again, the crop factor. BTW, 34/22 is very close to 1.6. Coincidence? (if you use the same lens, same aperture, it will be exactly 1.6).

EDIT: You are probably thinking of using the same lens, same FL, same aperture, from the same distance. Then the crop camera will capture a cropped version of the FF one, with absolutely the same detail clarity, etc. under the assumption of the same pixel density (well, Canon FF cameras are less color blind but let us forget about that).

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow