Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to JPEG Shooter, 8 months ago

JPEG Shooter wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

I have just finished building a website with the largest onscreen images coming in at around the 750x500 pixel, 96dpi 100kb file size.

I have put in place a system that stops right click stealing of the image, but have just learn't that when viewed on an iphone, the image's can be saved as 750x500 pixels, 96dpi at around 50kb with the exif copyright information removed. They are pretty useless to be stolen for print, but they are of ample size for web use.
I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.

What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

That is a dilemma I have faced as well.

I am appalled at the attitude of some people now-a-days. If you read the other posts here about photos being stolen, some respondants are of the opinion that "posting is sharing" and that if you post your images, they are there for the taking. And this kind of idiocy is what we have to deal with. It seems like this attitude is becoming more and more prevalent.

Some say to simply post smaller images (as you have done) to make them useless as prints. Well as you point out, those smaller images do just fine on the web and that is exactly where some stolen photos are being used. And yes, while a 750x500 image would not make a suitable print, it would work fine for stamps, buttons, mugs... many things that people print photos on. Thieves can make money from even small images.

I've had my images stolen and that is why I started watermarking most of them. I also know someone that had a beautiful scenic shot taken on vacation. They posted a small version on their web site, not watermarked, only to find out later that a travel company had stolen it and used it on their web site - without even crediting the photographer - to promote the location.

So, either watermark your images (and even then, it isn't a guarantee that they are safe), or don't watermark your images and know that they ARE being stolen, or don't post your images and leave them on your harddrive where no one sees them but you. It's a tough call, I know.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
view my galleries at http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Thank you. Its all a bit of eye opener as to the value (worth stealing) of small size low dpi images :-/

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow