Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Nov 11, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

I have just finished building a website with the largest onscreen images coming in at around the 750x500 pixel, 96dpi 100kb file size.

Good size, but maybe too small for today's screens.

I have put in place a system that stops right click stealing of the image,

Don't do that as it just annoys users and you are also preventing a user from using a right button, back click to exit the page. Blocking the right click is just BAD practice. PERIOD.

It also does NOT prevent copying of the image. EVERY image viewed on screen is already on the user's computer. The browser stores it in the cache, and it can easily be retrieved from there by anyone who knows even a little about computers.

but have just learn't that when viewed on an iphone, the image's can be saved as 750x500 pixels, 96dpi at around 50kb with the exif copyright information removed. They are pretty useless to be stolen for print, but they are of ample size for web use.
I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that if you are worried about someone stealing your 750x500 pixel images, you should NOT post them to the web at all. Even on your own website.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

FYI I haven't disabled right click.. I thought (wrongly) that java would deal with it.

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow