Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to RedFox88, Nov 11, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.

What are your thoughts?

Took a look at your site and found the images way to small as is. Frankly, I wouldn't consider any for purchase simply because they are too small to get more than an impression, perhaps at 1/20 asking price including shipping if they were framed and mounted.

Be wary of advice you get on here as they many are photo enthusiasts that would not buy items regardless of how big or small an image is displayed and there are also many that want image shown big for personal viewing without a sense of regard for image security.

Adding a watermark or further diminishing the images seems counterproductive. Go for full screen with a watermark if you must. I will say that watermarks are far from foolproof. But then again, so is building a business around selling stock online.

Spot on from my comment above. His photographs are not stock images, they are fine art. Sorry if you cannot recognize the difference. OP: again be wary of "advice" received on here. I find nothing wrong with the size of your images but I would have some sort of watermark. IMHO small watermarks do little to protect an image as they can much more easily be removed/cloned out, etc. If someone cannot see "past" the watermark thinking it "ruins the viewing experience" they are unlikely those that would actually purchase from you. Keep that in mind!

Man, thanks for this

You have provided a really informative opinion with clear perspective.

"If someone cannot see "past" the watermark thinking it "ruins the viewing experience" they are unlikely those that would actually purchase from you" - RedFox88    - This is the kind of thing I was looking for when I originally posted, a perspective on potential buyers attitudes. Again, thanks

BTW, I knew I would have to filter a certain amount of responses

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow