Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,363
Like?
Unique value of m4/3
9 months ago

There's a lot of chatter about comparing m4/3 versus APS-C and full frame, usually settling on m4/3 falling short for two reasons - noise at high ISO, and more depth of field at any given aperture because of the multiplier effect.

Well, in some situations, the first one is irrelevant.  In studio, you can control light so that you're always shooting at very low ISO.

And in some situations, that difference in DOF between m4/3 at f11 and full frame at f11 is "advantage m4/3."

I was shooting the blocks of ice with flowers frozen inside today.  As the blocks sublimate away in the freezer, their clarity changes, thickness changes, some of the flowers become half-in and half-out of ice.  DOF matters, a lot.  The more the merrier.  Today I was shooting with my Nikon D800E and my G6.  After a couple hours of shooting, I processed through the files, and 90% of the keepers came from the G6, mostly because at any given aperture, I had WAY more DOF to play with.

Here's a sample of the images from the G6.  When I first started using m4/3, I realized that in studio they could be superior in many cases.  (Also for macro shooting...) Today's work just confirmed.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow