HUGE Df Apology!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,931Gear list
Like?
Re: vanity (?)
In reply to Fogsville, 10 months ago

Fogsville wrote:

Just curious (sincerely).... where does 'vanity' enter into the equation when using tools such as cameras? I can see it with automobiles where brand names have taken on a certain stereotype, and the product becomes more than just a functional device. But I've never thought about it with cameras (?) Sure, the way a camera company might market a specific product can be suggestive of certain things, but then again I guess I've never really paid very close attention. Camera advertising is generally not that ubiquitous, nor is it usually very class specific.

So, are cameras more like status symbols these days? And what's with all the 'hipster' and 'poseur' designations? What does that actually mean and why is it constantly mentioned? And what does 'retro' really mean? How (and why) does a particular camera identify itself with a user's intent? Does the device itself always directly identify with the type of product being produced (cameras produce products; i.e. a photograph to be consumed.) Or the type of producer? If so, then how? How does a Df mean the user is indeed a 'poseur?'

I suppose that underneath it all, this is really about a much bigger issue of general self-identity. Hobbyist photography has always been a leisure pursuit of the middle/upper class and no doubt identity gets tangled up into it. Cars and watches were also symbols of the leisurely class at one time. But all these products are commonplace today (and less costly) and so the particular model/brand can become more significant in respect to self-identity.

I actually don't fully understand 'vanity' when it comes to the Df. Is it because the selling price is more than some of the other products that Nikon sells? Or is it simply a perception that is developed by certain consumers who identify themselves with what they feel are more appropriate use value/cost equations (which itself becomes a type of self-identity issue.)

All good questions.

And on the face of it the Df is a perfectly fine DSLR with plenty of reasons for SOME shooters to take notice.

But the glossy coat IS bothering some people.

Here's yet another take. I like Subaru sports cars. I liked the WRX, STI and older versions of the Legacy GT. They are very capable cars that can show their rear bumpers to many cars that carry more street credibility...unless you know something about cars.

Then there's the issue of looks. The Subaru is UGLY. OMG, Subaru seems determined to make one ugly car after another, in spite of the performance!

Now imagine you bought a wonderfully fast, great handling, but UGLY STI. And the very next year they come out with a car that's a little less or a little more capable, but it's BEAUTIFUL!

How would you feel? Let's be honest. The D800 and D600 are not beautiful looking cameras. They look like giant game controllers and only the lenses give them any character at all. I paid 3K for my ugly D800! It look perfectly at home next to the Xbox controller!

And now there's the Df....it's really sweet looking. It looks classic, expensive and puts out a halo of quality. Well...WHAT THE HELL!? Why does my D800 and other cameras look like plastic poop? Why didn't DSLR makers make these pricey tools with some AESTHETIC PRIDE.

I guess most of us didn't notice until some of these retro cameras hit the market. But for those who love these tools, the Df looks wonderful. And I think we all know it will be a fine camera, if not a cutting edge machine; a well rounded blend of several cameras wrapped in a glossy package.

Since I have a valid reason for it's place in my kit WITHOUT the ambience, I can enjoy the beauty without really succumbing to it. But I think those who have no need are just a bit irritated by it's existence. And if the VF and rear LCD are better, even THAT will bug people who already spent on a D4 or D800.

The Df presses a LOT of buttons; not all of them good ones. The debate, anger, love and angst make that very clear. Some shooters were expecting the cleaning lady (D400) and a supermodel showed up. And she won't do windows, at least not for everyone.

Okay...I've officially gone off the deep end with all of this! Time to make dinner.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow