20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,515Gear list
Like?
Re: 20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:
In reply to Rick Knepper, 9 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

Ok the Digital Picture. A favorite place of mine.

There are a couple of problems with this comparison for me. First and foremost, the scene has no detail.

It does.

Capturing detail is different from sharpness.

Are you saying that one of the images was sharpened more?

Perhaps the OP misspoke and meant sharpness or clarity. A good landscape scene would be a better test for detail capture. Secondly, a landscape type aperture would be best in the capture of detail so we don't have to account for the DoF.

There are no DOF differences in that comparison.

I have no argument with most of this and much of it is why I shoot FF exclusively. Again, the OP said he saw more detail in a 6D image as opposed to images from the 70D and I pointed, all other things being equal, the 70D should capture more detail.

I was wondering how long it would take before everybody will start convincing him that he did not see what he saw.

There is a very simple reason, and it was mentioned already. The 70D has more pixels per area but the image is projected on a smaller area. As a result, the 70D is enlarged 60% more. This hurts the resolution. Of course, lenses also matter but this explanation is enough for you to understand where you are wrong.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow