Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,130
Like?
It´s in my hands again…….
Nov 10, 2013

Ok, we need some activity here. The DF has caused 120 threads with over 3500 posts over at the Nikon FX forum.

Today I found my SD14 on the shelf. I thought: if the DF is retro, what about the SD14?

I took it in my hands again.

About a month since last time, where I thought it could save me on a problematic job where I did get moire with my D800E. Some tiny engravements on some jewelry. Turned out it didn´t really helped, so I solved it with my D800E.

But today, I took it in my hands again and thought: "What does it take for me to go back to Sigma? What camera do they have to "give" me, to give me a feeling that I can take any assignment, and trust the camera to not fail, and not disturb me when I photograph? Not to have to apply workarounds?

I took it in my hands again, and thought about what was good about the SD14.

• IQ was good.
  • Quite silent shutter

I took it in my hands again, and thought about what was bad with the SD14.

• After 6 seconds of non-activity, the camera shuts down metering, and you need to half press to wake it. Not possible to change. Terrible.
  • The "blinkey" error. When shooting before buffer had cleared, risks where high that the camera would go into a forever processing/writing loop, causing lost images. It effectively reduced fps to 1 shot every 6th second, so buffer was cleared. Annoyance in landscapes and product shots, impossible to use for people shots. (Fixed with the SD15)
  • The rear LCD. Tiny, low res, color cast and close to useless.
  • The color inconsistency between units. (Better with SD15?)
  • Green/magenta blotches in dark areas - never really black black.
  • No WB adjustment apart from presets and one CWB position.
  • The way WB/ISO was adjusted, with the 4-way wheel (one directional adjustment)
  • The function key.
  • Mirror up and timer on same wheel.
  • The small viewfinder.
  • No viewfinder/diopter block (other than a included piece of plastic)
  • Slow playback
  • When changing PASM, remembering last exposure for that mode, instead of continuing with current values from other mode. (preference)
  • Only 96% viewfinder coverage.
  • No live view
  • No tethering
  • Lots of dust/debris build up over time. (I know Laurence claims the shutter is an anti debris innovation, but my unit had lots over debris)
  • Sensor misalignment. (Probably unit dependent. I had to slightly tilt it to get a straight horizon.
  • No AF microadjustment.

More and more Bayer cameras are made with weaker - or without - AA filter. This will reduce Foveon advantage.

So, what does Sigma have to give me? As I have a D800E, it has to be better. And I can tell you, that is a capable camera.

• Above all, Full Frame. Not only because of the resolution, but mainly because of the larger viewfinder image.
  • Deeper buffer. Either processing speed/writing time needs to be drastically reduced, or buffer must be much deeper. (On the D800E, with much larger files, process/write takes about a second. (SD1M is what - 15 secs?)
  • Current fps is fine for me.
  • Camera must not shut down after 6 seconds if I choose otherwise.
  • Black black on ISOs below 1600. No green/magenta blotches
  • Live view
  • Tethering (SD1M has)
  • Large hi-rez LCD
  • Customizable WB. K and preset adjust. More than one CWB. (SD1M only has presets and one CWB)
  • 100% viewfinder coverage. (SD1M is 96%)
  • Want to see both ISO and WB in the viewfinder (configurable if I want to see them or not)
  • Support for non-Sigma lenses (SD1M gives color cast)
  • Video. (SD1M has none)
  • User interchangeable viewfinder and focusing screens. Split screen delivered from Sigma. (Canon has this)
  • CF or preferable Dual CF. No SD card.
  • Built in, or support for WiFi
  • Good quality control, including better beta testing
  • No new pricing disaster
  • And soon

If so, Sigma will be in my hands again. Then I will sell my D800E.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Nikon D800E Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YawnNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow