HUGE Df Apology!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
Re: HUGE Df Apology!
In reply to Jose Rocha, 8 months ago

"I have NEVER stated that the D800 failed to meet my expectations. It has exceeded them in almost every way, INCLUDING low light performance."

-- hide signature --

If so why would you even say that a DF is needed and use "travel camera" as the reason? They are almost the same size.

"But last summer I shot a baby shower and my friend came along with his D4. We have a very similar skill level. We both got very nice shots and when we sat down at our Macbooks to do some quick PP there was no doubt that he had a better time. My files above ISO 3200 needed more work to look as clean. When the mother was blessed in very subdued lighting we both shot at 6400. I could get my shot close to his with downsizing and PP, but his was still better right down to colors and highlights."

---I have shot a lot of weddings/events and some have been in very low light situations and own fast glass (like you) and average iso 1600-4000 max. This is in a low light flash/no flash situation. You are shooting a baby shower at iso 6400? Where was this and last check the D800 is very good pushed to 6400 and the D4 gets a slight edge after 6400. You own a flash? Even in a dim church I use much slower iso.

"95% of the time we had results so close that no one would care about the differences. Some of the time he loved the added resolution of the D800. At other times I could not believe the latitude the D4 had at high ISO settings that I would usually only use as a last resort"

---that is the point. Just like I said negligible differences. So what exactly is the reason that a DF makes sense in your example?

I was thinking of buying a D4, but don't need a lot of the spec. I just wanted the sensor in a more sensible body for my needs. I shoot a LOT of portraits and candids for myself.

--Well this still makes no sense because the DF is not a more sensible body and if the size is close to the D800. Also if up to iso 6400 is great on a d800, what about the DF makes sense?

"I fail to see what any of this has to do with "vanity."

-- You may not see it but "retro looks" is the key selling marketing of this camera and the emotion that the camera brings. Not practicality or placement into the product line at a price that makes sense. The price is clearly based upon the design/looks and feel and desire it brings out.

And I already proved via someone who HELD both that the size difference is a factor. The ONLY thing I like about the D600 is the smaller size and the Df is even a bit smaller. Why deny this?

--MINIMAL differences. If size is your ultimate goal, many other capable options are hitting the market. Are you also saying that a D800 will take up that much more space to restrict travel?

"The Df is a very capable cameras. IMHO it is you who has been blinded by it's looks and it has impacted your ability to recognize it's strengths."

-- I actually AM NOT blinded because I see the marketing gimmick that the camera is and I know that it is priced because SOME people will pay a premium to have the look/feel. I pay for functionality and my money is valued to me so I buy value. I dont buy looks.

"I'm ALL about function. That's why I'm not ordering now. I'll wait for bugs to be settled and a bit more info before pulling the trigger."

--Most sensible thing you have said yet. Not buying now is a good move. The price will drop and I would pick one up (If I was in the market for one) after the hype has died down and the bugs worked out if any.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow