I think the notion of FF = heavier lens may not be true

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,888
Like?
Re: Understand why the earlier 4/3 lenses were so large, and the current ones aren't
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Nov 10, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

For a more accurate size comparison, use the µ43 size optimized lenses like the 45 1.8, 75 1.8, 12-40 constant F2.8, 12-35 constant F2.8, 20 1.7, 17 1.8, etc... they are very small for what they can do.

The m43 size benefits comes from its crop factor, just as a camera with 1/2.3" sensor can deliver a 35-600mm (equiv) f/2.8 zoom range, again due to crop factor. But, we could also compare lens sizes and weight by focal length (not equiv.).

Minolta 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 N, a full frame lens for example, was 60mm long, with 55mm filter size and weighed 290g. Whereas, Panasonic 35-105 f/2.8, a m43 lens, is 100mm long with 58mm filter size and weighs 360g. The Panasonic, of course, offers constant f/2.8 zoom which would account for the size gains but the point is ultimately with focal length itself, rather than equivalent FL.

Bad comparison. The Minolta lens doesn't have an af motor inside, whereas the Panasonic zoom does. It's not weather sealed. And that constant, larger aperture is a huge difference.

Try again...

Neither would play a significant role in size/weight.

Actually, they can, along with a number of other factors. Just because you don't know this, or don't think it needs to be included in your contrivances, doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

An AF motor and the circuitry to drive it can way an ounce or more. Weathersealing is almost always combined with metal parts and/or heavier parts, as is a larger aperture. A fixed aperture requires more glass elements than variable, as does a more complex zoom mechanism, all of which add up to greater weight for any given lens.

You should really understand the subject before trying to comment on it. As with the OP comparing late design, base line lenses with older, higher grade lenses to try to prove a point: too many people with a lack of knowledge visit these forums to demonstrate what the don't know.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow