Why no m4/3 tele converters like Nikon/Canon others?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
CrisPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 636Gear list
Like?
Re: Why no m4/3 tele converters like Nikon/Canon others?
In reply to SteveNunez, 11 months ago

There are two technical reasons:

• Most mFT tele lenses are not sharp enough
  • Most mFT tele lenses are not fast enough

Ok, my comment might sound a little bit to harsh, but as I own a 75-300 mFt and a 50-200 FT lens I see clearly why Oly or Pani see no strong reason for a native mFT TC:

• My 75-300 requires 1/400s and faster for sharp pictures. With the slow aperture this means raising ISO quite often into painful regions. And the lens is not sharp, from 220mm on there is no gain in "reach" because the lens performance decreases quite a lot.
    --> Only reason to use a tcon would be to take the sharp 200mm length and convert it to less sharp 280mm or even worse 400mm. Nothing gained but the effective aperture is even worse then ...
  • My 50-200 SWD is quite another tele lens, sharp at f2.8-f4, very sharp at 200mm f5.6 and because of its weight usable down to 1/200s.
    But with TC20 it is said to be tricky, you have to stop down and get only f11, additionally autofocus does not always work perfect on E5 or EM1. Maybe I will buy a TC14 but as far as I know a TC20 would be quite demanding.

Baseline: While it is possible to use a TC14 or even TC20 with HG or SHG FT lenses, I see no reason to torture my mFT lenses with a TCON. Yet ...

(

I see some exceptions from what I said above:

• The Panasonic 35-100/2.8 would be a nice lens with a TC14-alike converter
  • The upcoming 40-150/2.8 should hopefully be good enough too
  • I would like to put my 75/1.8 on a TC from time to time

)

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL25, O60, O75
P12-35, O75-300

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow