Olympus profit - the cat is out of the bag (a little early)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,960Gear list
Like?
Re: just fan boys going at it, which is good!
In reply to tron555, 5 months ago

tron555 wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

tron555 wrote:

[snip]

I like the GX7, but I still find the images from the E-M5 look a bit sharper with slightly more detail.

Silly statement. Both can be tweaked to a huge extent. And then there is RAW for the enthusiasts who want real control.

No... it was not a “silly statement”, it’s what is called a personal observation or opinion! You need to understand the difference between the two as you seem to feel only your opinion is the correct one.

You made an observation that Panny images are less saturated than Oly images. That statement is at best incomplete. So let's complete it:

• Maybe you meant that Panny images are less saturated at default settings. This would be complete, but silly since it is so trivially changed.
  • Maybe you meant that Oly images remain more saturated when both cameras are set to their highest possible saturation and contrast settings. This would again be complete but would be relevant to a microscopic group of people who don't mind ruining their images. Again, silly.
  • Maybe you meant that randomly adjusting the cameras' settings seems to always leave Oly images more saturated. This, of course, would be pure nonsense.

So I don't understand your comment. There is no way to complete your "opinion" to make it meaningful without also making it silly. Ergo, I believe that my initial reaction remains quite accurate.

I wonder if there will be a new and improved (slightly smaller/lighter/cheaper) E-M6 out early next year. I would like a weather sealed camera with 5-axis IBIS, but with better ergonomics (better grip) than the E-M5 has.

I thought the EM1 was that body ...

Since the E-M1 is ‘obviously’ NOT smaller, lighter or cheaper than the E-M5, you should really consider taking some reading comprehension classes "or" only know what you are talking about.

I comprehended perfectly. It is you that is muddled and befuddled. You made two statements:

1) I wonder if ...

2) I would like ...

You never said that they were related (seriously ... read them again.) So I answered your second statement, which dealt with feature enhancements and not with size and cost.

Thus, my statement stands. The camera you asked for exists already.

A new 'shutter shock' proof shutter would also be a nice feature, (not that everyone is having major problems with it on all lenses), but it would be a nice new feature.

The G5, GH3, G6, GX7 and GM1 all have one of those. Go figure ...

Let me rephrase the question for you since you apparently did not understand my statement,

Cogency is not your strength.

“Without needing to switch back and forth between and electronic shutter and mechanical shutter”. That switching back and forth is kind of a Mickey Mouse/work around solution until they figure out the SS issue and resolve it one and for all. I feel the old mechanical shutter should become obsolete and a new Global Electronic Shutter should replace it next year, IMO.

And it apparently is not getting better.

If there were a simple solution to shutter shock, then it is a good bet that the huge selection of bodies that display it would have used the solution already. We're at generation 4 at least and it is still an obvious issue.

You can feel anything you like, but the engineers are tasked with solving the problem and your fatuous characterization of the existing electronic shutter solutions as "Mickey Mouse" does not eliminate the fact that this solution works really well for shooting many subjects at very high magnification.

It is thus not Mickey Mouse at all. It is simply a good solution with certain technological limitations. But that does not stop Panny from offering it across the whole lineup now. Oly, for reasons that I cannot quite understand, seem to be choosing to just let the shutter wreck the images.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow