Veteran MemberPosts: 9,638Gear list
Like?
Re: 20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 8 months ago

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Unless there is a significant factor(s) obliterating detail, the 70D should resolve more detail (not always the most important aspect of IQ to a given photographer). Do you have any side by sides?

How about TDP?

TDP?

Here. You can choose the Sigma 85 or the 85L on the left, as well; the difference is even more pronounced then.

Ok the Digital Picture. A favorite place of mine.

There are a couple of problems with this comparison for me. First and foremost, the scene has no detail. Capturing detail is different from sharpness. Perhaps the OP misspoke and meant sharpness or clarity. A good landscape scene would be a better test for detail capture. Secondly, a landscape type aperture would be best in the capture of detail so we don't have to account for the DoF.

50L at f/1.2 on crop vs. the cheapo 85/1.8 at f/2 on FF?

Can you post the RAWs?

No, for obvious reasons.

Most of the comparisons you have seen are in the best scenario case, at the sharpest apertures. One of the benefits of FF is to shoot with fast primes. Then the resolution jumps dramatically, compared to cop. And there are apertures you cannot get at all with crop (in eq. terms), of course.

I have no argument with most of this and much of it is why I shoot FF exclusively. Again, the OP said he saw more detail in a 6D image as opposed to images from the 70D and I pointed, all other things being equal, the 70D should capture more detail. Same principal why some birders prefer crop over FF when a long lens isn't available - more pixels on the given target. What detail the 6D does captures most likely will be sharper and cleaner and perhaps this is what te OP meant.

It's a minor point and really didn't deserve multiple posts to flesh it out.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow