Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 2,980
Like?
Re: Prepare yourselves for a new landscape
In reply to stevo23, 5 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

meland wrote:

In ten or fifteen years (the exact time span is not the main point of this prediction) mainstream enthusiast photography may have gone small format. Forget full frame. Forget APS-C. Forget M4/3. These may all be then regarded as medium format and as such only the province of a few professionals and quality fetishists.

So how do you think this current trend toward full frame that we're seeing will play out? First Sony, now Olympus and Fuji are making noises about it. Do you think this is just a short and passing fad?

I think it will remain for a while for the high end enthusiast and professional markets. After which it will retract to much smaller volumes, somewhat like MF achieves today.

As a volume product, I'm not sure many manufacturers that are not already in it will adopt it. Designing and making a range of FF lenses when you have none is too expensive to enable a return on investment for the small volumes  and I don't believe there will be enough purchasers  committed enough to sustain it anyway.

I wonder myself although I don't think 135 will go away. When a Nikon D800 is only $2700 - as far as I'm concerned, it can stop there and I would be happy for a long time.

We should have a vault with all our predictions in it and every so often, we pull them out and review them and those who are correct should get a free camera. (How about a vintage Kodak Brownie?) We could call it the Brownie Awards.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow