Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,341Gear list
Like?
Re: 20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:
In reply to qianp2k, Nov 10, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Unless there is a significant factor(s) obliterating detail, the 70D should resolve more detail (not always the most important aspect of IQ to a given photographer). Do you have any side by sides?

How about TDP? 50L at f/1.2 on crop vs. the cheapo 85/1.8 at f/2 on FF?

DXO 85/1.8 on 6D vs 50L/1.2 on 70D 16 vs 12 mpix.

No doubt a cheaper EF lens on FF beats a very expensive lens on APS-C. However those EF lenses are not designed for crop. A more meaningful comparison should compare to native APS-C lenses designed and optimized for APS-C bodies but Canon doesn't offer such lenses (only very few EF-S lenses). For example EF-M 22/2.0 STM pancake on EOS-M (that should have similar sensor as of 70D from perspective of IQ, 70D is only slightly better) has amazing 13 mpix.

Due to much bigger sensor size and 1.6x times less pixel magnification, 6D is naturally sharper with better color tonality that becomes noticeably when view in large size.

The reason I responded as I did is because the OP used the term "detail". I think it has been proved several times on the forum with crop vs FF side by sides that more pixels in a higher density procudes more detail. Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark those posts. I proved it with a 21 MP vs 36 MP FF side by side comparison using the same lens although there were still deniers galore.

Sharpness and other apsects of IQ are a different matter from detail IMO. If it were possible to find a FF sensor with the same pixel density of a crop, and find exact equivalent lenses, I would expect the same level of detail to be captured by both but the overall clarity of the FF  image would be superior due to its lower inherent noise and other factors.

I wonder about the approach of Canon and Nikon to their crop cameras in view of the assertion by many many forum members that crop cameras require better lenses. (Not sure how a lens gets past the noise issue.) But, IMO, the most important thing to know about crop is that it is the budget DSLR camera in the line-up. Creating a line of extra-performing lenses seems to go counter to the general marketing effort so I do not expect better EF-S lens to ever happen. Supposedly, Nikon has a pro crop called the D300 but to my knowledge, Nikon never introduced lenses "appropriate" for the moniker.

above set at respective wide-open

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow