What if you had $5000?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,249Gear list
Like?
Darrell...
In reply to Darrell500, 10 months ago

Thanks for the response.

I listed the 45mm rather than the 75mm for two reasons -- although I don't think there is any question that the 75mm is a better lens.

First is the cost/IQ factor. The 45mm is only around $300 which is a steal. The IQ is simply outstanding, and I believer that one would have to examine a portrait very critically to distinguish any image quality difference between the 45mm and the 75mm. The 45mm is much lighter and smaller.

Second is the fact that I also listed the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 which is an outstanding, sharp portrait lens for close up/head and shoulders type portraits. I personally almost never shoot a close up portrait at wider than f/4. At f/2.8 or wider your focus has to be spot on and even if is, I don't want to give clients a portrait with their eyes in focus and their nose and ears out of focus -- that may work for model shots, but most clients I have dealt with want their entire face in focus not just their eyes -- contrary to popular belief on these forums that shallowest DOF is always better.

In addition, if you need more shallow DOF, the 45mm  @ f/1.8 will provide it -- and give you options for a wider field of view at a reasonable working distance from your subjects if you are shooting 2 or 3 people.

I would love to own the 75mm, but based on my type of shooting, I probably will never own it -- the lenses I have work great for me, and as it is, I don't even use my 45mm all that much. I will doubtless invest in the Oly 40-150mm f/2.8 when it comes out, and I am certain that it will be at least as sharp as my Pany 35-100mm  which easily covers the 45mm and 75mm focal lengths @ f/2.8 which is about all I need.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DanNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow