Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cartwheels MD
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"
In reply to bigpigbig, Nov 10, 2013

I will break this down point by point.

bigpigbig wrote:

I have read this on many occasions. Most recently on FR main page.

I don't get it.

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

While I find myself more and more grabbing the Fuji, there are still situations that it comes no where near my D800e.

I don't necessarily think it's being strapped for cash. For some, yeah that is the situation, but in my case, it's a hobby. I have other things to spend money on as well. For my style of shooting, I also don't want attention to be immediately directed at me due to the fact that I have a big DSLR (doesn't matter which one it is; people see a DSLR and automatically think "pro"). I don't mind if people happenstance notice I have a camera and it's pointed at them, but DSLRs are like a magnet for eyes. People are immediately aware of a photographer.

For examples:

1) I just shot a dance performance in a theater. I shot a 70-200 f2.8 with VR at 1/400, f2.8, ISO1600 in AF-C 3D tracking for focus. It was dark and the AF system was near instantaneous and capable of tracking for continuous shots. The Fuji system has no lens or camera even close to being capable of this.

Sounds like an excellent opportunity that I would love to be able to do sometime. I would probably rend a DSLR and lenses for something like this since it doesn't crop up enough for me to justify the expense.

2) I shot a focus bracketed macro set of some watches tethered to a computer with live view and remote control.

Same as above, but I am not really interested in focus bracketed macro sets tethered to a computer. Maybe that will change one day, and maybe on that day I will have a newer camera capable of that. It's just not today.

3) I used the SB900 flashes set up in two groups and controlled them (power and ratio) all from the camera as well as getting excellent results from them in TTL auto mode.

Sounds very complicated. Again, I am keeping things simple right now. One day, I will own a strobe and will experiment with off-camera lighting, but that's not today. I am not sure I will ever do any complicated lighting setups. Then again, we shall see what the future holds in terms of gear and desire.

4) I had my Fuji at a waterfall and couldn't get the shot my friend who had a weatherproofed 5D MKII got.

This is one situation where I would be disappointed, but it would surprise me if such gear does not exist in the future.

5) I often find myself cropping a 6mp image and printing an 8x10 from very small details in the original shot.

Not sure why I can't do this with my Fuji.

6) A bear was chasing me and I threw the D800e and 200 f2 at it to scare it off. The camera was better off than the bear.

This is definitely an awesome story. Okay, you win with this one. Bravo. Still not buying a DSLR to defend myself from a bear though.

In any case, as much as I love the Fuji XE-1 (and will love the XE-2 even more) it is NOT a replacement for a DSLR in every case.

Though, I do smile every time when I pick up my backpack with two XE-1's (one infrared) and 5 lenses, filters, cleaning tools, small tripod, etc and it weighs less than the D800e with grip and 200 f2.

No it is not a replacement for a DSLR in every case, but for many of us, it's a replacement for the DSLR in every case that we see ourselves using one. It's all about personal values, hence why you posted this thread.

Cartwheels MD's gear list:Cartwheels MD's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Apple Aperture
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Why?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow