E-M5 stopped working after a rain shower

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,853Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 stopped working after a rain shower
In reply to lester11, 9 months ago

lester11 wrote:

The OM-D E-M5 user manual tells us, "Equivalent to IEC Standard publication 529 IPX1". That is, vertical drips. (The E-M1 manual has an identical entry.) These are the IP (ingress protection) numbers for enclosures of electronic equipment:

1 Protection against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation.
2 Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15 degrees from the vertical.
3 Protected against direct sprays of water up to 60 degrees from the vertical.
4 Protection against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted.
5 Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions - limited ingress.
6 Protected against temporary flooding of water, e.g. for use on ship decks - limited ingress permitted.
7 Protected against the effect of immersion between 15 cm and 1 m.
8 Protects against long periods of immersion under pressure.

Interesting. Seems like few splashes come from directly above. I'd take "splashproof" to include at least the first three categories. I'll have to look in the GH3 manual for a similar IPX1 statement

Is the EM-1 more resistant than the EM-5? I ask because the EM-1 interests me. Just as well for my bank account that they are hard to find just now! It's been a heavy month: New MacBook Air; two new iPhones; property tax; house painted; and paid for a cruise vacation -- so just as well I stick with my GH3.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow