The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: The trouble is
In reply to marike6, 11 months ago

Except that the Df is much more than "a stripped down D610 with a retro shell". If people have haven't shot with the D4, downloaded images from it or if they are unaware of how fantastic the D4 sensor is, they might think that, but that is actually an inaccurate characterization of the Df.

Besides that it has a number of improvements over the D610 like a dedicated AF-ON button (one of the most frequent complaints about the D600 I've read), a new two axis horizon level, of course the manual exposure control dials, and from what I've read it has the best LiveView implementation of any Nikon DSLR.

I think one of the problems is that we didn't learn all that much about the Df and what it's like as a shooter from DPR's Preview. It was I thought light on content and and heavy on unfair criticism considering it was just a Preview. So unless people have seen other more detailed video previews of the new Nikon, I don't think they can fully appreciate what the Df offers versus the D610 and D800.

If you haven't read it, photographer Nasim Mansurov has a nice article on why he's excited about the Df.

http://photographylife.com/nikon-df-pictures-pricing

Mansurov is a photographer who can easily see how the Df fits in.

And you're quite right about the Df sensor. I used to walk around thinking my D800 sensor could do the same things...after I downsized and PP a bit. But after seeing lovely and usable ISO 6400 and higher shots from the D4 so easily and with more DR, I quickly got the picture.

My D800 is top dog at lower ISO with it's incredible DR and color. The D4 is on it's heals, but still behind. But as you start pushing the limits of low-light and trip beyond ISO 3200, the D4 keeps going and going. It feels a whole 2 stops better at times as the D800 really needs to nail an exposure to pull off the same things. The D4 does it easily. My friend has made 8x10 prints from ISO 12800 D4 files that are incredible. He also has the D800, which does well up to 3200 (and still hangs at 6400), but you need to work the files.

The sensors are BOTH great in their own ways and owning both makes sense if it suits your needs.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
????New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow