"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,978Gear list
Like?
Different needs as you say
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

I have read this on many occasions. Most recently on FR main page.

I don't get it.

Unless you are strapped for cash and REALLY can only afford to keep one system, why would you give up all the opportunities lost by shooting a mirrorless camera only?

While I find myself more and more grabbing the Fuji, there are still situations that it comes no where near my D800e.

For examples:

1) I just shot a dance performance in a theater. I shot a 70-200 f2.8 with VR at 1/400, f2.8, ISO1600 in AF-C 3D tracking for focus. It was dark and the AF system was near instantaneous and capable of tracking for continuous shots. The Fuji system has no lens or camera even close to being capable of this.

2) I shot a focus bracketed macro set of some watches tethered to a computer with live view and remote control.

3) I used the SB900 flashes set up in two groups and controlled them (power and ratio) all from the camera as well as getting excellent results from them in TTL auto mode.

4) I had my Fuji at a waterfall and couldn't get the shot my friend who had a weatherproofed 5D MKII got.

5) I often find myself cropping a 6mp image and printing an 8x10 from very small details in the original shot.

6) A bear was chasing me and I threw the D800e and 200 f2 at it to scare it off. The camera was better off than the bear.

In any case, as much as I love the Fuji XE-1 (and will love the XE-2 even more) it is NOT a replacement for a DSLR in every case.

Though, I do smile every time when I pick up my backpack with two XE-1's (one infrared) and 5 lenses, filters, cleaning tools, small tripod, etc and it weighs less than the D800e with grip and 200 f2.

I wouldn't get rid of my DSLR only because of its superior AF performance. I also rent L lenses on the weekend to meet my desires.

That being said, my DSLR gets such little use that I think of selling it every now and again.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Why?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow