The worst thing about the DF is the Disappointment

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: The trouble is
In reply to Josh152, 11 months ago

Josh152 wrote:

that from what I have seen of all people commenting and posting on the Df on DPR there are two groups of people who will never agree when it comes to the DF and which are the cause most of the arguing.

Those who fall in love with he retro look and old style control wheels whether from nostalgia or they just like it or it feels/looks like a real camera to them ect. These people don't care about the price/specs equation and just love the camera for it's retro design. They will defend against any criticism of the camera because they have such a strong emotional attachment to it.

Those who see cameras and the Df ans nothing more than another tool for taking photos and don't appreciate let alone share the stylistic and emotional reasons people want the Df. These people look at the specs, compare them to the D610 and D800, see the price of the Df and go, "WTF why would anyone spend so much on a striped down D610 just because it has a retro shell."

Except that the Df is much more than "a stripped down D610 with a retro shell". If people have haven't shot with the D4, downloaded images from it or if they are unaware of how fantastic the D4 sensor is, they might think that, but that is actually an inaccurate characterization of the Df.

Besides that it has a number of improvements over the D610 like a dedicated AF-ON button (one of the most frequent complaints about the D600 I've read), a new two axis horizon level, of course the manual exposure control dials, and from what I've read it has the best LiveView implementation of any Nikon DSLR.

I think one of the problems is that we didn't learn all that much about the Df and what it's like as a shooter from DPR's Preview. It was I thought light on content and and heavy on unfair criticism considering it was just a Preview. So unless people have seen other more detailed video previews of the new Nikon, I don't think they can fully appreciate what the Df offers versus the D610 and D800.

If you haven't read it, photographer Nasim Mansurov has a nice article on why he's excited about the Df.

http://photographylife.com/nikon-df-pictures-pricing

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
????New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow