ccd
ccd
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to cgarrard, 8 months ago

cgarrard wrote:

And this 16mm?

The 18-55 out performs the 16-45 on many aspects, its also much more budget, which is the point of the post.

In what aspects are those? I have both lenses, and besides cost, the smaller size, and an extra 10mm there is nothing else I know where the 18-55 outperforms the 16-45. And I definitely value the extra 2mm on the short end......since the idea for use of these two lenses is more defined by the wide angle than the long end.

Beyond that, there is budget and there is value. I would rather save up a little and buy a better lens (I got my 16-45 for less than $200 in almost new condition). For what it provides it is well worth the extra cash and still not so much that it's beyond your reach financially. Remember, you don't need to buy all the lenses you want all at once.

That being said, I will go somewhat hypocritically go against the grain and recommend the much maligned 50-200 over the 55-300. Not only is it considerably cheaper, but it is so much more compact and lighter. Yes, of course there are times when that extra 100mm is so handy, but with the resolution of many cameras these days one can crop and zoom to mitigate some of that difference. The biggest advantage is the portability on a practical level. I find myself using it more than my 300 because I hike......and it packs and hauls much better. I also see the difference optically to be less significant than others do.....at least with my copy. That's why I said "somewhat" hypocritically......I feel the difference optically is much less than the difference between the 16-45 and the 18-55 for example. I know many see this differently, but the fact that I sometimes confuse it with my 18-55 when fully retracted says a lot about this little marvel.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow