Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 4,106Gear list
Like?
Re: M.ZUIKO 12-40 mm f2.8 pro weather sealing
In reply to MarkInSF, 5 months ago

MarkInSF wrote:

PeterGraham wrote:

Hey, I've seen review where the OMD E M1 and the pro lens are splashed with water with no harm done. So, it's obvious one can take pics in heavy rain without any worry. But what about zooming, does the weather sealing cover this as well? What I mean is, when you zoom out a part of the lens gets inside the other part, the shell. Is there a risk that water will be forced inside the lens as well or can one zoom as one pleases without worry even in heavy rain?

Maybe (probably) a silly question but I haven't found anything on this subject.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I don't know about those particular lenses, but many weatherproof lenses, like the Olympus Micro 4/3 12-50mm zoom have the entire mechanism inside a sealed outer tube. The zoom mechanism and focus move lenses back and forth inside that sealed outer tube. It makes for a rather long lens, but makes weatherproofing easy. Otherwise it's a matter of o-rings and the like. Roger Cicala of LensRentals has shown what the weatherproofing consists of in several lenses and cameras and it's not very impressive. A few bits of tape and a few small rubber gaskets and o-rings. 'Splash resistant' is probably a better description than 'weatherproof'. Really heavy drenchings would likely cause some leakage. That's in contrast to a truly waterproof camera like the Nikon AW1, with its much more substantial seals. Its special lenses also have no extending parts, with all movement internal. They are very different from the standard Nikon 1 CX lenses with similar specs.

Nikon AW1 is underwater camera, not just weatherproof. But what special lenses, except the dark and small-range 11.5-27 which does not give any advantage over good underwater point-and-shoots like Olympus TG-2 and Pentax WG-3 GPS and phone-like-fixed-length 10mm which is not especially bright either?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow