Mirrorless vs DSLR

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Better shooting experience vs portability
In reply to as1mov, 10 months ago

The big innovation, to put it generously, of mirrorless is making cameras a bit smaller.  But it's up to the photographer to say if smaller is actually better. Many times smaller means less ergonomic with more fiddly controls, many of which are relegated to the LCD.

The question is: is the ability to choose a slightly smaller camera bag with an MILC as big a deal as some make it out to be considering it usually means loosing the big, bright, beautiful FF Pentaprism VF?

And since with large sensor cameras, depending on the flange focal distance, lenses still mostly have to be large, the gains in size/weight are fairly insignificant. That's a trade off that many photographers are unwilling to make.

I'm also not a fan of how many review sites, including DPR seem to have adopted a mirrorless mindset that smaller is better to the point that even DSLR reviews get sidetracked with size comparisons with MILCs and bogged down with fairly insignificant things like LiveView AF speed.

Anyway, I use DSLRs and mirrorless but mainly the big innovation of mirrorless cameras (if you removing the Pentaprism "innovation") are size/weight savings.  Since I don't consider a DSLR to be exactly heavy to begin with, I have to wonder what all the fuss is about having a bit smaller camera bag even if it means giving up a proper viewfinder or robust AF-C tracking.

Cheers, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow