Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,734
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, 9 months ago

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Hey,

I have just finished building a website with the largest onscreen images coming in at around the 750x500 pixel, 96dpi 100kb file size.

dpi actually doesn't matter for images on the web; it's still an image that is 750 pixels by 500 pixels.

I have put in place a system that stops right click stealing of the image, but have just learn't that when viewed on an iphone, the image's can be saved as 750x500 pixels, 96dpi at around 50kb with the exif copyright information removed. They are pretty useless to be stolen for print, but they are of ample size for web use.
I don't want to water mark them with a faint diagonal cross and ©(my name) in the center a'la stock library's as I feel it devalues the viewing experience, but I'm thinking that I may have to.

What are your thoughts?

There isn't anything you can do to prevent an image from being stolen if it's on the web.  Right-click blocking only keeps honest people honest.  If it's displayed on a web page, it can still be taken - whether from an iPhone or traditional computer workstation.  You either let it go, watermark, or don't put it on the web.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow