Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ultraspontane
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
aw110 = very disappointing
Nov 10, 2013

Was in the market for a "tough" point and shoot, so I did some research, and decided to go with the aw110. I originally wanted the Olympus tg2 on account of its faster lens, but people were complaining about its bad noise reduction, so I went with the aw110. Bad idea.

Now, there are some things I like about the camera. It seems to be of a sturdy construction, and the WiFi capability + mobile app that let's you shoot remotely from your phone is a nice touch.

If you're shooting stationary subjects in perfect light, holding still like a pro, you can get some decent quality shots with good sharpness. For anything else, its been nearly useless. I know what you're thinking. "Well what did you expect? Its a point and shoot." Yes, its just a point and shoot, so I'm not expecting miracles here. It still falls short of what you'd expect from an average ps. For reference, both my iPhone camera and a mid-range Canon point and shoot from 2006 outperform the brand new aw110 in real world use.

The problem seems to be the dumb "auto" behavior that seems to love slow shutter speeds. There are no manual shooting modes, just a bunch of useless auto scene modes like "sunset" and "night landscape", etc. You can set ISO manually in one of the shooting modes, auto, but that's it. So most of the time, you're at the mercy of the poor camera "AI".

The result is blurred subjects in most shots, bad under exposure, and sometimes really bad over exposure in bright light. It's bad when an iPhone is much better at stopping action than the aw110. I'm not talking about high speed sports here, but a dog that is turning its head as you press the shutter button. So if you intend on shooting anything that moves, the aw110 is a bad choice. Nearly unusable in my experience.

I don't understand how a new product released in 2013 falls short of my old Canon powershot A540 circa 2006, which wasn't even a high end point and shoot back then.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tough camera that is actually usable in real life settings where subjects move around, and lighting isn't always studio perfect?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow