X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brian_Downunda
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter lag time
In reply to a l b e r t, Nov 10, 2013

a l b e r t wrote:

The focus speed has been less of an issue for me than lag - EVF lag and shutter lag. I gather from these and other comments that EVF lag is gone. But what about shutter lag? I find that when I'd trying to capture a changing scene that what I get is not quite what I thought I was getting. I'm don't expect D3s responsiveness, but I need something a little better than what I'm getting on the X-E1.

Actually, there is still some EVF lag, it is not completely gone, but more useable than before.

I think shutter lag is somewhat tied to AF speed. If PDAF is working (i.e.: scene with good vertical contrast), then the lag time can be very low. But I've yet to play with it extensively to confirm whether it is now good to go. With D3s and 24-70 AF-S lens, AF is so fast that I can pretty much capture the facial expression as soon as I see it in the viewfinder. I'm not sure if this can be done with X-E2 yet. For sure it is impossible with X-E1.

Thanks.  What would really help me is some comment on shutter lag when using manual focus or with focus locked.  That presumably would be pure shutter lag - separate from any residual focus issues.  The X-E1 seems to do some sort of dance with the diaphragm before firing the shutter which causes this shutter lag.  I recall that I read somewhere that a recent firmware upgrade fixed this with another Fuji camera - was it the X100 or X100S?  If my recollection is accurate, then it would be odd for Fuji to put out a new camera without a fix like this.  All the fast focussing in the world ain't going to help you if there is still shutter lag.  (Although it is possible that part of what I'm attributing to shutter lag may be EVF lag, but if so that should be gone too.)

B

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow