Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Mirrorless vs DSLR
In reply to PK24X36NOW, 11 months ago

PK24X36NOW wrote:

as1mov wrote:

http://photographylife.com/mirrorless-vs-dslr

What is your opinion?

My opinion is that the linked article is a steaming pile of manure.

His "disadvantage" list for DSLRs is a joke, basically consisting of size/weight/"bulk" "issues," which aren't "issues" at all. Many prefer the size and form factor of a DSLR, and aren't looking for tiny little camera bodies, in particular with bigger formats where the lenses would make the combination with a smaller/thinner camera body front heavy, awkward and uncomfortable to handle. The other "issues" are the seemingly (in the author's mind) "insurmountable" obstacles of making the mirror mechanism and autofocus mechanism function, which camera makers have been doing for decades without any difficulty. Others are just LOL stupidity - frame rate limitations?! Seriously?! My 2007 D3 does up to 9fps. A D4 does 11 fps. At those speeds you get images just about indistinguishable from one another. Such speeds are way beyond what is really necessary for most photography, and DSLRs are in no way "limiting" photographers in this area. "Imagine the DSLR mechanism at 15-20 fps" - who the f%#k needs 15-20 fps?!

The soft-pedaling of mirrorless DISadvantages is also a joke. The general theme about EVFs in the article is "yeah they suck now, but in the future they'll be really swell!" Even after they "improve," they still won't be as good as an optical view finder, and they'll still cause eye strain (because ALL screens flicker) and suck up the camera's battery life. You can reduce the amount of flicker and battery consumption, but you cannot eliminate those issues, neither of which are issues for DSLRs.

The SLR is the best variety of camera ever designed. No other camera allows the photographer to see what is being photographed, live, real time, through the taking lens. "Inherent flaws and limitations," my a$$!!

Mirrorless remains a solution looking for a problem.

lol...

I do own a GH3 plus some lenses and use it where it does a good job (video, handheld macro and some travel/family applications)... but do I ever agree with many of your views !! And I actually upgraded to the GH3 for it's size (one of the largest MFT) and buttons that I can actually feel/use without getting a fit . Did you ever try to use a MFT/Mirrorless with a large (300 mm) lens and nail the focus... the mirrorless idea is hopeless (unless you use a super steady support) it's all over the place.. never mind the substandard quality telephoto-lens choices .. a complete mess in my view.. Then you grab a DSLR and find that nothing beats a nice clear OVF with some heavy duty glass in front of it !!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow