Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,778Gear list
Like?
Re: 20MP vs. 20MP - comparing my 6D vs. 70D:
In reply to CanonKen, 9 months ago

CanonKen wrote:

-- hide signature --

Still early, but it seems I can extract a whole lot more detail, shadows, and highlights from the 6D vs. the 70D.

I don't see how the 6D wins on detail at base ISO all other things being equal. Even when all things aren't equal, there should be more discernible detail. It has been proven more than once on this forum in side by side shots with a FF and crop camera. In this case, both sensors in question have 20 MP giving the 70D greater pixel density and greater capture resolution due to its smaller surface. Unless there is a significant factor(s) obliterating detail, the 70D should resolve more detail (not always the most important aspect of IQ to a given photographer). Do you have any side by sides?

OTOH, the 6D should beat the 70D in overall noise (which is what I think you mean by shadows and highlights).

I have some experience comparing cameras and posting reviews on DPR albeit nothing with a crop. I would suggest posting side by side images to illustrate your text. It helps folks visualize what you are saying and it actually helps the reviewer focus his/her thoughts, and, in the process, the sustained study of said images may reveal an opposite result of the first impression or preconceived assumption. That's happened to me before.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow