I think the notion of FF = heavier lens may not be true

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,201Gear list
Like?
Re: Plastic vs glass is needed.
In reply to jonrobertp, Nov 10, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

I've worn eyeglasses since grade school. And I'd say 98% of ppl wear lenses made of hi density plastic . Not cheap, but lighter than glass.

It's time lens makers do the same. Plastics are not what they were long ago. Very tough, very sharp, and yes, my pair of lenses will cost me about 600 bucks...without the frame..for my eyes. But worth it.

At 600 for lenses you've been scammed, sorry. (Assuming they're unifocal, anyway. Multifocals wouldn't be relevant to lenses...) But $300 is certainly not unreasonable for a pair of eyeglass lenses. That's two elements. Please, do the math for a typical optical formula and let me know how much a simple nifty fifty might cost. A Nikkor 50/1.8 is 6 elements. A Canon 70-200/2.8 has 23 and they're considerably larger than most people's eyeglasses.

And after all that, I think you'll find that camera sensors resolve significantly more detail than your eyes.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow