X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?
Re: Digital split image
In reply to a l b e r t, 10 months ago

a l b e r t wrote:

I never had an 100s so no idea what "the same" is ... sorry.

The reason why I am asking is that I find the focus peaking utterly useless on the X-E1. I can see the ants-brigade on some edges but find this not helpful when I use, say, a 105/2.5 Nikkor in manual mode, have tried to focus using the peaking, but get blurry images at best. Since I have used split screen in the past on Leicas and Voigtländer 35 cameras I was wondering whether this would work for me. At this stage it looks like I will have to go to a shotp and try this out for myself ...

Just wanted your opintion on this!

Cheers

Deed

Search on Youtube, you should be able to find some videos on using the digital split image.

Frankly, I don't find it to be all that useful. It is because the split image is in black and white. So if you have subject that has low contrast or colors that turn out to have the same grey scale in the digital split, it'd be hard to to see the split as well. Also, if the subject has mostly horizontal contrast, you'll have to rotate the camera 90 degs in order to see the split. A more useful split would be something at 45 degs. I think it is up to the user to choose b/w focus peak and digital split to see which one works better on the subject.

As for focus peak, Fuji still hasn't implemented the use of different colors for the highlight. Also, they could use a stronger highlight for the focus peak. On my NEX-6, I use red as I don't see subjects with red in everyday shooting so it is far more easy to judge instead of white. The highlight is also stronger as well.

Another difficulty lies in using long focal length. There is no IBIS, and you'll see lots of handshake movements in the EVF especially when the focus area is blown up on a 105mm lens.

Had done that and found this (amongst others...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FR3l6S12JA

In this video the split screen looks fantastic to me on vertical lines like in the olden days with the split image in this wee round thingy in the image centre, no idea what this is called, but you know what I mean, had this in my Pentax and Nikon cameras and thought his worked just fine.

I was interested in YOUR opinion on this, can read here that you don't seem to this it's all that great.

For me this would be one of the main reasons that I would chose the X-E2, but you feeling rather lukewarm about this I guess I have to check this out myself and see whether this would work for me. Manual lenses on focus peaking would only work for me on a tripod, was hoping for more to be frank!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow