Olympus profit - the cat is out of the bag (a little early)

Started Oct 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,134Gear list
Like?
Re: on that forecasted 86% uptick
In reply to Abrak, Nov 10, 2013

Abrak wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

One really does have to wonder what's behind such a wildly optimistic forecast. Let's hope that production isn't currently being ramped up based on a projected 86% increase in 2H.

I do think it is good that Olympus is finally dumping most of their compacts and downsizing. I also think most of us would agree that the E-M1 will be a success. However, given the down market and intense competition, I'm less optimistic about PEN sales.

Well there tends to be some second half shift in the business (not a lot last year) because it covers the Xmas period. And of course we have the E-M1 launch.

I agree and a 30%-40% increase in sales wouldn't surprise me. However, predicting an 86% increase seems to be setting yourself up for failure. Now, for example, if sales go up 40% Olympus will have to equivocate and say that while they failed to meet expectations, they were pleased that sales are headed in the right direction.

Speaking of which the E-M1 does seem to be doing well. Pre-orders are ahead of where the E-M5 was at a similar stage of the launch. Whether this will last is another matter. The E-M5 was a bit of a sleeper and gained sales on word of mouth - I tend to think that a lot of E-M5 owners were quick off the mark to hump to the E-M1.

While I expect the E-M1 to continue to do well, a company's highest priced model isn't what drives unit sales volume.  It will be interesting to see if the enthusiasm for the E-M5 & E-M1 is able to help generate improved sales of PENs. If not, Olympus may be facing the prospect of becoming a very small niche market camera company.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow